No one wants a double chin. It lowers a person`s self-esteem and makes him/her feel uncomfortable. In lots of cases people wear scarves in order to hide their embarrassing double chin. Losing weight very often can be helpful in reducing the excess fat, but what about those people whose double chin is genetic and doesn’t have anything do to with the excess pounds? Luckily, there are several exercises that can help them get rid of the double chin for good.
THE JAW RELEASE
The following exercise tones and stresses the facial muscles. It needs to be performed in this way:
- Sit or stand up, keeping the spine straight.
- Take a deep breath through the nose; now exhale slowly, while keeping the lips pressed together. Move your jaw as if you were chewing while you’re breathing.
- In the end, open your mouth up as wide as you can. Inhale and exhale from the open mouth with an “ahh” sound. Put the tip of the tongue against the backs of the lower teeth so that
the jaw relaxes.
Make about 5-10 repetitions of each of the two steps.
THE CHIN LIFT
This exercise targets the muscles of the jaw, throat, and the neck. Follow these steps:
- Sit or stand with a straight spine.
- Move your head back until you are looking toward the ceiling.
- Contract the lips into wrinkles, like you are about to kiss the ceiling.
When it comes to this exercise, it is very important to use onlyyour lips, and try not to include any other facial muscles. Keep the lips in puckered position for about 5 seconds, then release. Make 5-10 repetitions.
Platysma is a broad sheet of muscle fibers that are extending from the collarbone to the angle of the jaw. Performing exercises that target this muscle keep both the throat and the chin firm. Adhere to the following steps:
- Sit or stand, and keep the spine erect.
2. Pull your lips against the teeth, and turn the corners of the mouth downward.
3. Open your mouth, and engage the muscles of the jaw. Keep your lips pressed against the teeth and the corners of the mouth. The tendons on your neck should stand out.
4. Move the lower jaw up and down for 5-10 times.
Make 5-10 repetitions.
THE NECK ROLL
Besides toning and stretching the muscles of the jaw, the neck, and the throat, the neck roll provides a relief of shoulder tensionthat in turn alleviates the shoulder and the neck pain. Follow these steps:
- Again, stand or sit with an erect spine.
- While taking a deep breath, turn your head to one side until it touches the shoulder. Look at one side.
- While exhaling, roll your head downward, so that your chin is resting on your chest. Make sure to keep the spine straight and the shoulders squared.
- While taking a deep breath, lift the head up in order to make the chin touch the other shoulder. Look to the other side.
Make about 5-10 repetitions of the neck roll.